Saturday, November 1, 2008

Why I Am Interested in My Major

Is education important in one's life? If yes, then what should be one's major? Today in the world, there are so many fields of education from which one can choose. One's career depends upon one's interest. As every coin has two sides, different people have different opinions about choosing their career. It depends on one's interst in the subject. As Robert Frost said, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by." The less traveled road has more new experiences and adventures, but the road that is more traveled has footsteps that people follow, and it's boring for me. Recently I started studying biochemistry because my major is pharmacology. Having just started my college studies, my experiences and my future easily demonstrate my reason for choosing pharmacology.

First it's my field of interest, and I believe that one should only do things that make one happy in life. I was not inspired by anyone, but biochemistry, which includes pharmacology, interests me. It would probably take four to five years for me to graduate, and I am planning to pursue a master's degree in pharmacology.

Pharmacology is the study about medicine and its effect on the human body to cure various kinds of diseases. I want to do something for the world through my education. For example, I would like to help India, which has the world's second largest population. Because it is a developing country, it faces challenges with poverty, illness, pollution, and many other problems. There are so many diseases, which don't have any cures, such as cancer, AIDS, and strokes. I want to find some way to cure these ailments.

Secondly I was wondering, if scientists cannot find a cure, how can I? Where there is a will, there is a way. Even if I don't succeed, I will at least have tried to help humanity. For example, after being a pharmacist I can open a pharmacy where poor people can get medicine at lower costs. Today there are cures for asthma, bronchitis, and lung cancer, but poor people cannot afford the medicine, and they ultimately die.

Last but not least, I can also perform research on people who will help the medicial field develop at a higher level. If I become a pharmacist, I can open a multinational pharmaceutical company that will help people to get medicine. For example, there are many pharmaceuticals and facilities in the world that cannot be found in some countries or regions. By opening such a company, I can help peole get medicine from all over the world.

Thus the advancement of pharmacy is developing within the next century and the future of the field is bright. I believe being a pharmacist is the best way to help people around the world.

No comments: