Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Disadvantages of Living Off Campus


These days a booming number of students tend to live off campus. Mostly, they prefer to live alone than share a room with others. As an undergraduate student, I am renting an apartment off campus. Although renting an apartment has its conveniences, it also gives me some troubles, such as disputing bill payments, assigning housework, and worrying about security.

To lease an apartment off campus causes disputes among my roommates about paying the bills. For example, one of my roommates wastes electricity. He uses four times as much energy than the me and my other roommate. We decided to divide up the electricity bill in thirds at the beginning of each month. So angry were we that we sparked a passionate debate, and we did not get along well for days afterwards. Another example is that we wanted to catch the mouse that lived in our apartment. We were going to buy a mousetrap online, but one of my roommates didn't want to pay for it because he claimed that he didn't care about the mouse in the room. We ended up not buying the trap. As a result, we fed a crowd of mice.

In addition, sharing one room with other people confuses us on how to assign housework fairly between us. We have no right to urge the others to clean their own rooms, so an unpleasant smell always comes out into the shared room, which causes us to burst into anger. Another good point is that none of us likes to take care of the backyard behind our apartment. My roommates say that they do not have enough time to take care of it. Neither do it. We ended up with no grass in our backyard.

Last but not least, renting an apartment off campus leads us to face security issues. For instance, I parked my bike in the living room. For me, it's the best place to keep my bike. So surprised was I when I found that my bike was missing from our living room one day. Fortunately for us, the thief did not pose a great threat to our lives. On the other hand, I had to walk a long way to school. It was very dangerous for me. On the way to campus, I meet a great number of strangers, and I cross many intersections. I might be injured or even exposed to a life-threatening situation due to so many vehicles on the road.

To sum up, renting an apartment off campus has generated many issues that leave much to be desired. We must take proper action to improve the relationship between roommates, and also we ought to pay special attention to our safety.

No comments: