Tuesday, November 4, 2008

How UWL Exceeded My Expectations


Do you know where La Crosse is? If you don't know, what do you imagine about it? Is it big, convenient, or scary? La Crosse is in the state of Wisconsin. It is a small town with a famous university, the University of Wisconsin at La Crosse, which we call UWL. I wanted to study there, so I came to America in order to get a master's degree in education. However, my life at UWL is totally different from my expectations. Transportation, the people of La Crosse, and entertainment are different from what I expected in La Crosse.

First, I was surprised to find out that the public transportation is inconvenient in La Crosse. If one needs to go somewhere and doesn't have a car, he or she must take a bus. However, the buses only come every thirty minutes, and they only come once an hour on weekends. It is so inconvenient for me because I only have free time on the weekends to buy food and to go shopping. If I have to take time to wait for the bus, I am sure that I won't have enough time to do other things that are also important for me. Besides, the last bus also stops running very early on weekends. It stops around 7pm, so I cannot enjoy my weekends very much. I will worry about coming back to my dorm if I want to stay outside past 7pm.

Second, I also feel amazed that people are kinder here than in other countries I have been. Before I came to America, I thought that it maybe difficult to make friends because of my Asian face. However, when I first arrived, I met many Americans who were friendly and talked with me. Even if I walked along the street, they smiled at me and said hello. I feel so happy because I don't need to worry about making friends here. Besides, Americans are not the only kind people at UWL. I met many other people from different countries who are just as kind. Now, I'm taking a course in professional development for my master's degree in education. My international classmates always help me when I have problems with my homework. I really have a lot of great international friends now, and I enjoy my college life very much.

Third, it is a surprising thing for me to know there are a lot of activities in La Crosse, and they have exceeded my expectations. The television has taught me that Americans like to have parties and do many other interesting activities. However, it seems much more than I believed. When I just arrived here, I already joined many parties for birthdays, farewells, and just for fun. I gained many friends and learned about different cultures by joining these parties. They really taught me a lot from meeting different people. Moreover, the university also holds a lot of activities such as hikes, long-distance excursions, and picnics. It really gives me a lot of chances to understand Americans and their lifestyle.

To sum up, the University of Wisconsin at La Crosse is different from what I anticipated in terms of transportation, friendly people, and various activities. I think I cannot only savor my time with my friends and colleagues, but I can also gain a lot of knowledge here.

No comments: