Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Marketing and International Business as My Major

Nobody can picture the world without international business, especially the underdeveloped countries. For the United States, Latin America is the second "best friend" for business after Canada and Europe. The United States imports more than one thousand billion dollars of Latin American products per year. Since the Hispanic population in the United States is nearly 40 million people, now is a good time to increase the market of Hispanic products. There are different topics in international business that can help my business ideas to grow, like the massive number of Hispanics living on East Coast, who came to the United States to work but still have their roots in their home countries. Also there are passionate rules of international trade that I want to study.

I was in New York City just two months ago when I realized how big the Hispanic population in the United States was. I walked in some neighborhoods in New York, and I was shocked. It was almost the same as walking in any South American city. I saw several shops, restaurants, bars, and small businesses with a flag of some South American country on the door and words written in Spanish. Therefore this idea of bringing some products from Ecuador that can satisfy one or more needs of this huge population has been in my mind. Of course, the idea also made me very interested in how I can start this business.

Immigration nowadays is different compared to immigration a hundred years ago when people from Europe came to the United States. The European immigrants left everything behind, and it was hard to know what was happening back in Europe. Now it is different with telephones, the Internet, and television. People can know what is happening at the same time. That means these new waves of immigrants are better connected with their own people. Therefore any product that can remind them of their home country will be a success. My idea is to export some products from Ecuador that immigrants cannot find here in the United States.

Politics and trade between Ecuador and the United States are the main problems that I am going to face. This is something that I have to study deeply to avoid many problems. The United States is clear about their immigration laws. I have to focus my idea deeply in quality and completely satisfy the standards of the United States. For example, for any flower importation, the United States asks it to be one hundred percent free of bacteria or any other invasive element. Another example is the food market. There are many companies in Ecuador that can satisfy the American requirements. Some of them also have international awards for cleanliness, attractive packaging, good handling, freshness, and high quality raw materials.

Forty million people are a market that can be approached after thorough study of their needs. If in the future the products that I want to import are accepted by at least one percent of those forty million people, my broad idea of business will be a success.

No comments: